A foreign domestic helper (FDW) needs to meet age, nationality and education requirements to get a Work Permit. The permit enables the FDW to legally work as a maid in Singapore.
Who is eligible
The foreign domestic worker you hire, either directly or through a maid agency in Singapore, needs to meet these requirements:
From 23 to 50 years old at the time of application.
From an approved source country or territory, including Bangladesh, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Macau, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand.
Minimum 8 years of formal education with a recognised certificate.
In addition, the FDW has to:
- Be employed at your home address as stated on your NRIC.
- Attend the Settling-In Programme if she is a first-time FDW.
- Not be in Singapore during the application for the Work Permit. She should only arrive after you receive the in-principle approval and buy a $5,000 security bond.
Note: This does not apply to Malaysian domestic workers.
Criteria For First-Time FDWs
A first-time domestic helper is one who has never worked in Singapore as an FDW before. This includes an FDW who:
- Doesn’t have an FDW employment record with MOM’s Work Pass Division.
- Has Work Permit records with MOM but did not collect her Work Permit card, or collected the card but did not eventually work in Singapore.